Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Walk Around Trinidad Head

What? No Food? No recipes? What's going on here? I'm full, people. I think if I see another piece of turkey, another yam, another grain of stuffing I'll go mad.

So while the soup is burbling away on the stove (of course I'm cooking - gotcha though, didn't I?) I thought I'd show you the views from our post-Thanksgiving walk around Trinidad Head, a small, rocky island of great renown in our "front yard". And if I seem a bit smug about calling this stretch of the beautiful northern California coastline my front yard, I am. Click here for an interesting read on the history and European discovery of both Trinidad and Humboldt Bays.

Coming up the trail on the north side of the Head, you look across the

Looking due west, the rocks are sea lion and pelagic bird refuges.

We're on the south side of the Head now, looking down Clam Beach and on to Humboldt Bay, Table Bluff and, although I couldn't catch it with my camera, Cape Mendocino way off in the southern distance.

I wish they would underground the poles and phone lines. They mar an otherwise beautiful view. In the shadows beyond our group, you can just make out the cross that was erected by the Spanish explorers who "discovered" Trinidad in 1775.

Descending the Head on the east side, beautiful Trinidad village comes into view.
That's it for now folks. I hope I've given you enough informational links to keep you busy until the soup is ready.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to live. Just mailed your book a few hours ago, so you should have it in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful change of pace and beautiful countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kalyn. I'm looking forward to it!

    Hi Jann,
    It's hard to stress up here with all these cool negative ions in the air!]

    Anna Maria,
    So glad you visited my cooking blog. You're one of the few people who regularly visit my garden blog and I appreciate it.
    Yep, the ingredients for that jello salad can make one cringe, but put them all together and people can't stop eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, I do not miss the food. I like these just as much, and I promose to visit your garden blog more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son would say the surf looks good on your first picture. Do you get strong under currents? I remember swimming at Stinson beach just north of San Francisco a few years ago!! I was pulled under but I lived to tell the tale. The pictures look great they remind of the coast of Cornwall and Devon.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne,
    The beach in my photo is a favorite surfing spot, especially the further reaches of it. I suppose any ocean beach can have strong currents, but I don't think this one has the rip tides that Stinson can have. I'm not an ocean swimmer and don't have a lot of knowledge about it. I love walking by the ocean, but for swimming it's fresh water for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.