Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Cranberry Apricot Ginger Chutney

I came across the foundation for this condiment many years ago, wrote the recipe on a post card, folded it in half and stuck it in the yellow-orange plastic recipe box that I've had since I was in my 20s. Over the years I've changed the measurements and ingredients quite a bit from the original and in doing so have made it mine. I wouldn't for the life of me know to whom to attribute it anyway.
I like this chutney for its sharp tangy-sweetness and slight heat from the cayenne. It makes a wonderful addition to "day after" turkey sandwiches.
Fresh cranberries

Organic crystallized ginger cubes, chopped

Cranberry Apricot Ginger Chutney
(Print Recipe)
Ingredients:
3 cups fresh cranberries, some coarsely chopped (chopping is not necessary though)
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend or 1/2 cup regular light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 cup golden raisins, left whole
20 Turkish dried apricots, snipped into pieces with kitchen scissors
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or 1/4 teaspoon if you like it hotter but be careful, too much can ruin the taste
3 tablespoons cranberry juice, such as one sweetened with apple juice, not sugar
tiny pinch kosher salt
1/3 cup toasted, roughly chopped pecans


Preparation:
In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the pecans, and place over medium heat.
Stirring often, cook the mixture until the brown sugar has melted, the berries begin to pop and the ingredients begin to meld together and become juicy.
Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans.
Allow to cool in the saucepan then remove to a lidded storage container and place in the fridge to chill.
Remove from the fridge about 1/2 hour before serving to allow it to come to room temperature.

Cook's Notes:
Low carb warning! If you are counting carbs this chutney will not appear on any low carb food list. Even with the use of the Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, it's loaded with fruit sugars.

7 comments:

  1. Chutney adds something to a meal, doesn't it? An edge, a bite (even when it's not spicy), a counterpart to the savory . . .it's like the adding a piece of art jewelry to a little black dress.

    My theory on carbs is simple: Enjoy them in moderation and make high-carb stuff a rare treat. This looks lovely — the last photo is especially appealing.

    Lovely post, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi! I took so many photos of the finished dish and every one of them came out cloudy. Like I told Kalyn, red just does not take well to photography. This was my best shot.
    And I agree with you about chutney. I think it brings a very special touch to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good Christine, I might even get round to making it.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sher and Anne,
    I love it that you're visiting on Thanksgiving! Of course, they don't celebrate that in the UK do they Anne. Duh!
    Have a wonderful day, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No we don't celebrate Thanksgiving although I always think about it. You mentioned your little plastic recipe box, well I still have my white metal box with pictures on it that I bought in Davis all those years ago and my Mum has one too!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I just found this post/recipe while searching for foodie gift ideas! Would love to make this for holiday gifting...I have a question though, how long do you think this can be stored for. And does it have to be refridgerated if it is jarred ... I'm a little new to this so any advice is appreciated! :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question, Aggie. I keep this chutney in the fridge after making it. It has lasted for as long as one month without spoiling, probably due to the high sugar content. I've never tried processing it in a water bath, but if you want to "put it up" for future use, I would try that. Best of luck and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.