Friday, November 17, 2006

Mashed Yams With Garlic, Chestnuts & Sweet Vermouth

I love the deep orange yams that are prevalent in stores this time of year. Called garnet yams, they are less starchy and higher in fiber than potatoes. Having just roasted a batch of chestnuts, I'm experimenting with how to use them in dishes for the holidays. This one is definitely a keeper.

Mashed Yams with Garlic, Chestnuts & Sweet Vermouth
Christine's original recipe
Ingredients:
3 large garnet yams, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 tablespoon butter or Earth Balance buttery spread
4 cloves garlic, minced
7-8 chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup sweet vermouth
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Butter (optional)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preparation:
Place yams in a pot of boiling, salted water and cook until very tender. Drain, return to pot and hold off heat.
Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet over medium low heat, saute the garlic and chestnuts in the butter until the garlic is softly cooked.
Add the sweet vermouth and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
Place the pot of yams over very low heat and mash with a wooden spoon until almost smooth. Don't beat the yams, just gently smash them.
Pour the garlic, chestnut, vermouth mixture over the yams and fold in to fully incorporate.
Add the maple syrup and maybe a small amount of butter or Earth Balance.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

7 comments:

  1. Not so sure about the yams, but I think the butter, maple syrup and the vermouth are definite keepers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy,oh boy...........how delicious! I love yams! And chesnuts........

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great side dish for a nice country ham! I have a chestnut tree but it's still a baby and the chestnuts are tiny...but a friend raided one down the lane. I pop a few in the oven every evening for a treat with a glass of wine while preparing dinner...Bad me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christine. I adore sweet potatoes and all the ingredients from your wonderful recipe but I don't like maple syrup. I'll try to add instead nuts syrup ( not sure that it a good idea but I'll try).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really yummy Christine would never have thought of it.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Farm Girl Cyn,
    I'll be you could do this with butternut squash and it would be great.

    Thanks Jann!

    Katie, Oh to have my very own chestnut tree. You are so lucky!

    Home Cook,
    I think you could just leave the maple syrup, or any kind of syrup for that matter, completely out of the recipe and it would still taste good.

    Thanks Mimi and Anne. Your support means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.