Friday, December 28, 2007

Kitchen Gadgets I Could Live Without But ...






... why suffer needlessly when

this little gadget does such a fine job? It's a garlic slicer/shredder (think mini mandoline) and it's made in Italy by ACEA. I found it in a small kitchen shop in Inverness probably 10 years ago; it set me back all of $7.

This little workhorse not only slices garlic paper-thin (I like garlic in my soups cut this way), you can flip it over and use the grater side (those 3 bars with teeth in the photo) to pulverize your garlic in mere moments. It works nicely for ginger root also.

Besides being able to find this on e-bay occasionally, it can be purchased here and here for just a few dollars more than I paid. That is if you wish to own one. I'm not suggesting you do. But trust me, if you use this just once you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.



Copyright © 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

6 comments:

  1. Looks an interesting little gadget Christine, I use a Microplane grater with the little box attachment but haven't seen the slicer version.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That's right. Why suffer needlessly?

    Paz ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting . . . yes why suffer needlessly. The paper thin garlic sounds like it would be worth it. I'm always trying to do that with a knife, I can't.

    A very happy New Year Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a chef's mandoline for Christmas but I have to watch a video to learn how to use it. Maybe this one would have been a better idea!

    Happy New Year, Christine!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.