Friday, January 4, 2008

Mincemeat Eggnog Pie And A Few Resolutions



I staunchly don't make new year's resolutions. Too many failed promises to myself have made a non-believer of me. As is often done with the optimism of beginning a new year, we (I) set the barr too high, setting ourselves (myself) up for failure.

However, not only to contradict myself but in spite of my staunchness, two resolutions crept quietly into my brain on January 1st. Quiet being key. If I'm going to make resolutions that I never make, why would I let someone else know about them only to break them yet again or admit I made them in the first place?

So I let those resolutions sit there for a few days to see if they, or my mind, would change. Nope. I scrutinized them for built-in failure and found them to be sound. Baby-step resolutions I call them. I think I can do this. And now, in true blogger fashion, I will share.

The photo above is just one of the reasons I will be sitting around less (blogging), moving around more (gardening), and eating smaller, smarter portions in 2008. That's resolution number one. Notice I did not say "lose weight."

Resolution number two is to divest myself of clutter. The first step here is to admit that I'm a pack-rat -- and a rather messy one at that.

I'm happy to say that I've already begun the clutter-clearing endeavor: food that we won't be using has been delivered to the food bank; clothes that will no longer be worn have been delivered to the thrift shop with more to gather; a few cookbooks from my enormous library have been gifted as have a few knick-knacks that I find I can live without. As soon as I finish this post I will start on my very cluttered office.

As for resolution number one, sticking to resolution number two will keep me moving for quite some time this year, right into the gardening season. The smaller, smarter portion size? My new mantra is: If you're hungry you must be losing weight. Ok, I said it. Really though, eating less is the goal.

And the pie? Well, my sister made up the recipe and it was delicious, if a bit (alot) rich, sweet and gooey, so I'm putting it here, adapted to my preferences, to remind myself of my baby-step resolutions.

May you all enjoy sweetness and light in the new year and may all your resolutions be small ones.

Mincemeat Eggnog Pie
recipe adapted from my sister Cynthia's original (Thank you!)
Ingredients:
for the filling -
1 27-ounce jar good mincemeat pie filling
1 cup low-fat eggnog
1/2 cup egg substitute plus 2 egg yolks slightly beaten, or 3 whole eggs
1 Granny smith apple, peeled cored and chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
for the pie dough -
2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, or butter, cut into small pieces
pinch salt
1/4 cup Splenda-Sugar blend or 1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons ice water
Preparation:
Make the pie dough first.
In a food processor, pulse the flour, salt and Splenda-sugar blend a few times until blended.
Add the EB to the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
While pulsing, add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl. It will still be crumbly.
Pinch the dough to test it. If it holds together, dump it out of the processor and gather it all together into a ball then press into a disk shape. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
Roll the pie dough into a round big enough to drape over the sides of a glass pie plate. Trim and flute the edges.
Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 350 and bake an additional 45 minutes or until the filling has set.
Allow the pie to cool on a rack to room temperature. The filling will set further as it cools.

To serve:
Cut into very tiny slices and serve with Splenda or sugar-sweetened whipped cream (or not) to as many people as you can so you don't eat too much yourself. When the pie is all gone, resolve to not make it again for at least 1 year.







Copyright © 2005-2008, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

10 comments:

  1. I believe in building in success. My resolution is always the same: I will do something I've never done before.
    Yours are both reasonable and excellent goals and I'm wishing you every success! But I hope you'll be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never make resolutions either, on the theory that I should be continually working on ways to improve my life so why pick January... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    But I like your baby-steps....
    And I am cleaning my office....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pie looks really nice Christine. I know what you mean about tidying up, I have already started it seems to get to me on New Years day when I'm afraid to say I take the tree and the cards down as I have to tidy up!! Then it spreads to different rooms in the house. Perhaps we should be like some animals and hibernate?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tanna. I will be around. I've tried to quit blogging before to no avail. It's quite addictive and the withdrawal hardly seems worth the pain. :)

    I like your philosophy Katie. It's much like mine and I don't know where these resolutions came from this year. Such a mystery.

    Glad you like the pie, Anne. I especially liked the crust. It would make good shortbread.
    Yes, sometimes I think hibernation would be a good thing but then the clutter would never get cleaned up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally do not know anyone who does not want to lose w....t this year. A slimmer, trimmer Cyn. Yup. That's what I want. And less is best, when it comes to eating. Portion control? what is that? It has to be healthy to begin with, or I throw caution to the wind and simply have NO self control. So, it is salmon, salads, chicken in any shape or form. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a woman after my own heart. There is so much in this post that we share in common. All the best with your resolutions, I'm rooting for you!

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your approach, Christine. Thanks for our moves, recently I got rid of some clutter and plan to do more in that department. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that we should be continually working on improvement, Christine! But, no matter how I try, I am tempted and seduced by pies like yours and other goodies over the holidays. So while I make "resolutions" daily, I appreciate the idea of a specific "turnover-a-new-leaf" date like Jan. 1.

    BTW, I did a lot of decluttering over the long NY weekend, but have had no time since...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cyn. Good luck! You're food choices are some of my favorites.

    Cynthia, You're so sweet. Thank you and happy new year.

    Hi Simona. Are you back yet?

    Good to hear from you Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring on more of that pie~how delicious it looks..and your sister is a great cook as well? Clutter...bingo!Where has it all come from and why do we manage to hang on to items that may not play much of a role any longer in our house-holds?? I certainly like your approach and hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.