Sunday, October 29, 2006

Pork Chops With Rosemary, Port & Lingonberry Sauce Plus Roasted Asparagus

If I had a sub-heading on my blog called Quick & Easy Dinners, this dish would go there. I don't have such a heading however, so I'd advise you to make a note that It takes just 1/2 hour to prepare and plate this meal, including roasting the asparagus. That is, of course, if you can get your significant other to make the salad, which he happily did.
I suggest preparing the asparagus for roasting before beginning the chops. When you begin searing the chops, put the asparagus in the oven. Both dishes should be ready at about the same time.

Pork Chops with Rosemary, Port & Lingonberry Sauce
Serves two people. May be doubled.
Ingredients:
2 1-inch thick center cut pork chops, fat trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced fine
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup chicken broth (I use low-sodium, no-fat)
1/2 cup ruby Port
2/3 cup lingonberry preserves

Preparation:
Sprinkle both sides of chops with kosher salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon minced rosemary.
Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
When the pan is hot and butter is melted, add the chops and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and just cooked through.
Remove chops to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the chicken broth, Port and remaining rosemary to the pan and stir to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
With heat on high, boil the liquid until it has reduced by 1/2, about 4 minutes.
Add the lingonberry preserves, stir, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce simmer until it has thickened slightly.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper if needed.
Return the chops to the sauce along with any juices that may have accumulated on the plate, turning chops to coat. Immediately plate chops, spooning sauce over the top.

Oven Roasted Asparagus
Ingredients:
2 pounds asparagus, organic if available
kosher salt
good olive oil

Preparation:
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Wash asparagus. Holding a spear with your hands at each end, bend the stem and snap it where it wants to break. Discard the tough bottom ends or save for making soup at a later time.
Drizzle a cookie sheet pan with a small amount of good olive oil.
Place the asparagus spears in the pan, lined up side by side, not crossing over each other.
Sprinkle the spears with kosher salt and another small drizzle of olive oil.
Place the asparagus pan in the hot oven and roast for 8-10 minutes, shaking the pan to roll the spears over halfway through the roasting time.
Serve hot with the pork chops.

Note: I bought my lingonberry preserves at the Nugget Market in Davis a few weeks ago. I only find it on the grocery shelves in the fall leading up to the holidays, which is why I've given you several links for on-line purchase.

11 comments:

  1. Great photo! It really looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok.........guess what I fixed for dinner last night? I love to have asparagus prepared that way,too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi
    christine
    remember me!!!!!
    you had promised to write to me after you holiday
    anyway i too had been on a holiday so lets start now.
    your pork chops look yummy, you know i have never eaten pork before.
    and whats this preserve ? how does it taste sweet , sour or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Mahek,
    From my understanding, lingonberries are a bit like cranberries, they must have sugar added to taste good. So these preserves are a combination of sweet and tart that tastes very good and goes really well with cooked meats. It would be good with a roasted turkey.

    Hey Sher, Let me know how many jars are left on the shelf at Nugget. I can't find any up here!

    Hi Jann, Sometimes you just gotta have a good pork chop, hmmm?

    Thanks Kalyn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! This looks fantastic, and I adore lingonberries. I almost picked some up on my last shopping trip... guess I should have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    Just letting you know that I'm featuring this as one of my South Beach Recipes of the Week where I spotlight low-glycemic recipes I find on other food blog. I'm including your photo, a photo credit for you and a link to the recipe. Hope lots of people will come here and see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kalyn,
    Thanks so much for featuring me and this recipe on your blog. The traffic has begun and I'm grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine,
    This was fantastic! Perfect after a long, cold day at work. We had it with a bottle of Bull's Blood left over from Budapest.
    Its great to see the unique Humboldt culinary tradition on the web. I miss it!
    Regards,
    Dan in Maryland
    (Former owner/Exec Chef - Tomaso's in Old Town, Eureka)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well hi Dan,
    My husband and I had many dinners at Tomaso's and I remember it fondly. Great to hear from you. Are you still in the food business?
    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine,
    I am a Foreign Service Officer at the State Department now. I am currently in Maryland, after serving in Krakow, Poland, and Accra, Ghana. Call it "spinach pie diplomacy!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a jump from head chef/owner of Tomaso's, Dan!
    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.