Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Lots of Chicken Dishes Lately, Christine ...



You've got to get out of this rut. Just one more? Okay, but then you really must move on. (All this being whispered to me by the bitchy mini-cook who occupies a (small) space somewhere in my brain and often gives her unsolicited opinion.)

Still, chicken is a lower fat, low-carb meat so it stands to reason that I'd use it a lot when trying to lose this damned weight. Which is not coming off very quickly, people. Truth to tell, I slipped up. Had people over for dinner. Went out to dinner a few times. I was good during the entrees, then tanked when it came to dessert. That and the several glasses of wine consumed. During each meal. This is not low-carbing!

It's also why you haven't seen my little painted toes on the scales lately. Way too embarrassing. Nope, got to start over. Well, not entirely over, but I haven't lost an ounce since the last scales photo. What I've got to do is something called a "Fat Flush". Ugly term, isn't it? It's two weeks of really, really low carbing. Not much fun and not at all blog-worthy. But I know it works. And I'll do it quietly, thank you.

And in case you're wondering, George and I are not having a spat or anything. I just have to back off from the higher fat ingredients that most of his recipes contain. And mostly I have to not cook so much. (Clay, are you reading this?) Then I'll get back to blogging his recipes. Promise.

The photo is what we had for dinner last night (Pete Wells, take note). I'm going to tell you about it because I want to introduce this spice rub from NapaStyle. I use it on all sorts of meats, roasted root vegetables and roasted summer vegetables - it's very versatile. This is my favorite of all the rubs they produce.

Grilled Chicken Thighs with Toasted Spice Rub and Cilantro-Pecan Pesto

From the freezer, remove two cute little mini-muffin-sized portions of the Cilantro-Pecan Pesto that you made when I posted the recipe (ahem!) and allow to come to room temperature.

Trim fat from 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and sprinkle both sides with NapaStyle Toasted Spice Rub and kosher salt, rubbing in well. Have your grill on medium high heat and grill the thighs 4 to 6 minutes on one side, then 3 to 4 minutes on the other. Top with a spoonful of the pesto and serve.

Mashed Cauliflower, a la South Beach Diet fame, a spinach salad with diced red bell peppers and cucumbers, tossed with an organic buttermilk dressing, rounded out this tasty and fairly low-carb meal.

Mashed Cauliflower
Cook florets from 1 cauliflower head in boiling, salted water until very tender. Drain and put back into the pot over very low heat to dry. Don't allow to scorch. Add 1 tablespoon Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread and about 1/4 to 1/3 cup fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and mash to blend. Place in a food processor and pulse until it becomes the consistency of mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. I usually make this dish with 2 heads of cauliflower. You can adjust the rest of the ingredients to your liking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.