Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Grilled Beef Short Ribs... It's What Was for Dinner

I'm of the opinion that if I have nothing particularly good or inspiring to write about, I shouldn't. It's in direct conflict with my obsession to post EVERYDAY (and now I have another blog for which I can't stop photographing flowers and insects in compromising positions).

If I don't write in my blogs, I feel that something is missing from my life. Sounds dramatic but it's, sadly, too true. I'm constantly composing posts in my head; many make it to my computer and many are lost, seemingly forever, in the nether-regions of my mind.

So here I am, with a simple and homely recipe that really isn't very blog-worthy, but I'm going to do it anyway 'cuz I HAVE to. And in the process I'm going to shamelessly promote previous posts not only from my cooking blog, but from my garden blog as well, because, well, sometimes after a busy week it's all I've got.



Boneless beef short ribs, marinated in a locally produced raspberry-chipotle sauce, grilled to medium rare, served on top of a tenderly sautéed melange of Vidalia onions, mushrooms, orange bell pepper, herbs and spices - and dinner is served.

We don't eat much beef. I like poultry, fish and shellfish better, and, of course, our neighbor's lamb. Oh, and then there's pork, the other white meat. So I don't think about making a meal out of beef very often. Plus, I find the chewing factor (as in a LOT) during the course of eating red meat to take longer than I desire. But these short ribs were fairly lean and good looking, so I took a chance. Besides, I'd discovered that our local market, Murphy's, now produces its very own sauces and marinades and I wanted to try the Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ sauce and thought, ah! Beef! So there you have it.


The ingredients that went into my quick, weeknight meal are in the photo below and include fresh oregano and fresh snipped chives, making this a candidate for Kalyn's Herb Blogging Weekend #33.



There's no big secret to putting this together: You place the boneless short ribs in a non-reactive bowl and pour a generous amount of the raspberry-chipotle marinade (or your favorite marinade even, as long as it will compliment the sauteed veggies) over the top and mix it in, coating all the pieces of meat evenly. Let it sit for about 1/2 hour then grill over medium-high heat until well-browned on the outside and medium-rare on the inside. Clay figured about 6 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, for the sauté: Have ready a peeled Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut in half crosswise then sliced into half-moons. Peel and finely dice 3 or more cloves of garlic. Seed and de-vein a large orange bell pepper (or your favorite color, just not green) and slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Clean and slice about 10 large-ish mushrooms, creminis are good. Go pick several sprigs of fresh oregano and chop the leaves finely. Snip a few chive stems and reserve them. What? No oregano or chives growing in your garden?



Get thee to your local nursery and buy a few 2-inch pots for 49 to 99 cents. They grow very well in 1 to 5-gallon pots and are herbs without which no kitchen garden should be. (That admonishment was for my children.)

Back to cooking: Begin with the onions over medium heat in a cast iron skillet into which you've poured about 1 tablespoon of good olive oil. Cook until slightly tender and golden. Add the garlic and stir for a bit. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they become soft, then add the peppers. Continue cooking gently until it's all tender and golden. Don't allow any of it to burn - duh.

When the sauté is finished, stir in the chopped oregano then season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Per serving, place the veggie saute on a plate and top with 2 of the shortribs. With your kitchen scissors, snip the chives over the top and serve immediately.

When you're finished, click on a few of the links I've peppered throughout this post (shameless hussy that I am) and refresh your memory that I sometimes do make somewhat gourmet meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.