Saturday, April 22, 2006

Low Carb Vanilla Delight


(4/24/06: see notes at bottom of post)

Even low carbers need sweets sometime. I hadn't been letting myself indulge in dessert since being on this stricter low carb diet and I was getting tired of it. Something had to be done before I broke down and dove into a carton of Breyer's Vanilla Ice Cream. So, parting ways with George and his cookbook, Eating Stella Style, for just a minute, I made this very low carb, sinfully high fat dessert that I suppose is somewhere between a mousse and a... well, you decide.

I started out with a 6-ounce jar of Devonshire clotted cream that really needed to be used. if you don't have that on hand, proceed with the rest of the recipe and see what happens.
Add 1 8-ounce tub of fat-reduced cream cheese, 1 cup of Splenda granular, and 2 teaspoons of good vanilla extract to the clotted cream and mix using a hand-held mixer on medium speed until blended.
With the mixer running, add 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (told you, didn't I?), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, the seeds from a vanilla pod and whip on high speed until fairly stiff peaks form.

Pour mixture into a glass bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

To serve, spoon into demi-tasse cups and garnish with a sliced strawberry.

4/23/06 Notes: Even though I made up this dessert following "low carb" guidelines, it's so high in fat that, in my opinion, it really shouldn't be in a low carb repertoire. I got on the scales this morning and hadn't lost an ounce - and I've been very careful about what I've been eating. Proof enough for me that eating low carb with high fat doesn't mix very well, plus it can't be very healthy for you. Any comments?

4/26/06 Notes: What was I thinking? Erase from your mind the high-fat ingredients in the above recipe. DO NOT go out and buy a jar of Clotted Cream (bad! bad!) Keep the pretty photo image firmly in your brain as you create this low-fat, low carb alternative.

Following the preparation method above, in a mixing bowl place:
8 ounces low-fat or fat-free cream cheese
1 cup Splenda granular
2 teaspoons good vanilla extract (check the label to make sure no sugar has been added)

Blend the above with a hand-held mixer, then, with the mixer running, add:
1 1/2 cups fat free half & half
seeds from 1 vanilla pod
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

This will make a nice, creamy topping for strawberries. Or fill that little demi-tasse cup and shave some good, bittersweet chocolate over the top. Much, much better for you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.