Monday, July 28, 2008

Very Chocolaty Chocolate Ice Cream

Okay, so it's not really ice cream. There's no cream here. But it is creamy and smooth and lovely with a double whammy dose of chocolate that will please your palate and make your toes curl. The first whammy is Scharffen Berger cocoa powder, the second is Godiva chocolate liqueur, which puts this firmly in the adult dessert category.

As I was putting the custard together, the deep chocolaty aromas wafting about seemed to cry out for a little balsamic vinegar. Don't ask me why, it just seemed right. I think it makes the chocolate sparkle. Ditto the Tahitian vanilla. Your nose will love you. And I'm still calling it ice cream.

Christine's Very Chocolaty Chocolate Ice Cream
Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup
Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon
Tahitian vanilla
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons
Godiva Liqueur
Preparation:
Using a hand-held or stand mixer, blend together the sugar, cocoa powder and eggs until smooth. It will thicken during this process.
Meanwhile, bring the milk to a simmer over medium high heat.
With the mixer running, very slowly pour the milk into the chocolate mixture until well blended.
Pour it all back into the saucepan and heat gently over low heat until it has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. This doesn't take very long and you must keep stirring and not allow the mixture to boil or over cook as it will curdle.
Remove from the heat and strain into a clean glass container (a 4-cup measure will work just fine).
Let the custard cool slightly then add in the balsamic vinegar, vanilla and chocolate liqueur, stirring well to blend.
Refrigerate overnight or until very cold. Process in your ice cream maker according to its directions.

Cook's Notes:
You can serve this right out of the ice cream maker. Even though it will be soft set, it has a lot of structure.
Of course, if you are going to be serving this to children, omit the chocolate liqueur. The ice cream won't suffer overly much.
Pack any leftovers into a container with a tight fitting lid. Place waxed paper over the ice cream before snapping the lid on to prevent ice crystals from forming.





Copyright © 2005-2008, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I want some! Now!

    Paz ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use of balsamic vinegar. I have never tasted the Godiva liqueur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paz, If I were in your kitchen right now I'd make you a Sunday night roasted chicken and this ice cream for dessert!

    Simona, I figured that since balsamic vinegar goes well with strawberries and chocolate goes well with strawberries, why not just omit the strawberries and see what happens? Certainly stranger combinations have turned out surprisingly well.
    I keep a very small bottle of Godiva ligueur in the cupboard for just such an occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! *Very big grin*

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice milk is what that is and I love it.

    I am making this soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you serious? You can create that kind of creamy dessert without an ice cream maker? Bless you, Christine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at "Godive...liqueur". Yum. Hmmm...going to the grocery tomorrow...I'm thinking they'll be some Godiva coming home to my ice cream maker....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so sweet Susan, but I did use an ice cream maker. Really!

    Yeah, Glenna. That Godiva liqueur. It's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm sounds delicious.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.