Thursday, June 15, 2006

Roasted Cornish Hens


After being delayed a day due to thunder storms in Denver, we finally arrived home Monday morning, tired but very happy to be here. In our absence the garden grew into a jungle of huge proportion and the "lawn", for lack of a better word, now looks like a prairie in full bloom. It's beautiful but hard to walk through without getting totally wet from the grasses that are now mid-thigh high. I'll be showing garden photos here soon.

For now, here's an offering straight out of the June 2006 issue of Gourmet Magazine. Please click on the link for the recipe. I put this together in less than an hour last night. It's rustic and simple. Just the way a tired cook likes it. The aioli is a treat in and of itself and could be used in a number of other ways, such as a dip for fresh veggies or a sauce for grilled fish. I recommend rubbing the hens with olive oil before seasoning them and placing them in the oven. I also squeezed fresh lemon juice over them after they'd been roasting about 5 minutes. This added a nice flavor to the birds and complemented the aioli. A saute of fresh broccoli rounded out the meal.

Please forgive my horrible photo - I'm still recovering from airplane-itis (I really hate flying) and my balance is a bit off. The roasted hen really is bigger than the seemingly huge mound of aioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.