Saturday, September 2, 2006

What's For Lunch? Tomato Bacon Sandwich

Just to make Pete Wells shudder in horror, I'm going to give you the details about the tomato sandwich I had for lunch today. It was made with one of these gorgeous, organically grown Brandywine tomatoes thusly:

1 beautiful Brandywine tomato, sliced thickly
2 slices of really good whole wheat bread
2 teaspoons full fat mayonnaise (Aw, go ahead, use more!)
2 slices turkey bacon, cooked (turkey bacon cancels out the fat from the mayo. Maybe.)
A few sprinkles of Maldon Sea Salt
2 fresh basil leaves

Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on each slice of bread.


Place two slices of tomato on one piece of the bread. Sprinkle with a touch of salt.
Place the 2 strips of bacon over the tomatoes.

Place another 2 tomatoe slices on top of the bacon. Sprinkle with another touch of salt.

Place a basil leaf on the top of each tomato slice.
Cover with the second slice of bread.
Eat. Slurp. Munch. Mmmmm!
Oops. Forgot to take a photo of that.

Actually, all this silliness is because I haven't prepared anything very blog worthy in the last few days. But I am preparing recipes from some of my favorite food bloggers. In the tomato department, I'm making a batch of Kalyn's Slow Roasted Tomatoes plus some of her incredible looking Sausage and Basil Marinara Sauce. Both of these will be "put by" for the winter. And as a special dinner for my sweetie and my son, I'm going to make the Poulet aux Noix from Michelle's Je Mange La Ville, about which I am very excited.
Stay tuned.

9 comments:

Kalyn said...

Your Brandywine tomatoes are gorgeous. I hope you like the roasted tomatoes and the marinara sauce as much as I do.

christine said...

Hi there Kalyn! I know I'm going to like them both. After all, they're your recipes so I know I'm in good hands.

Jann said...

What great looking tomatoes! I am going to stay tuned to check out the upcoming "Poulet aux Noix"...how lucky for your son!Grear photos....

Jann said...

I saw one of my words was misspelled.....sorry about that! GREAT photos.......

christine said...

Hi Jann. I wouldn't worry about any typos in light of the one I made in this post - tomatoe. Yuk! I really hate it when I do that.
I do hope you visit Michelle's site for her Poulet aux Noix as I copied the recipe directly. And, it was delicious! Post coming.

Mimi J. said...

I thought of you today, Christine, as I made a very similar sandwich on fresh onion-herb bread!

sher said...

Yum!! And I thought my tomato sandwich lust had died down. That looks fabulous! Did you confine yourself to just one? I'm going to have a sandwich like that before the Summer finally ends. But, it will have to wait until my experiment in being vegan for 2 weeks ends! :):) I think I've already lost 5 pounds in 2 days because I can't eat any of my favorite dairy foods. And mayo is out, of course.

christine said...

Hi mimi, tomato on onion-herb bread sounds yummy!

Sher, yes I had another one today only this time I used leftover, thinly sliced chicken with it. It was glorious!
Are you going to post about your vegan adventure? I'd love to hear about it. I have a son and daughter-in-law who are very happily vegan. Not sure I could do it though.

Mindy T. said...

Those tomatoes are just like the ones on a plate on my counter. Perfectly juicy and ripe. Uh, got to go now. I'm making myself hungry!

Thanks for visiting me.

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com