Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Recipes - Times Past

For the first time in too many years to count, we will not be having Thanksgiving at our house. As children grow to adulthood, get married and settle into their own lives, old traditions change and new ones are formed. This is the natural flow of life and should be embraced rather than resisted, or one could find oneself having Thanksgiving alone.

All this is to say, I won't be cooking this year. Oh, I'm responsible for two side dishes, but I've made them before. I haven't come up with any new recipes to post here. I'll be taking it easy, sitting back, chatting with family, maybe even reading a book, while others do the work. I'll be the crone of whom questions are asked: Mom, how do I get the lumps out of the gravy? Mom, do you sauté the onions first?

I'm looking forward to this.

Before we travel, I thought I'd leave you with links to some of the Thanksgiving dishes I've created over the last few years. I hope you enjoy them.

Happy Thanksgiving to my ever growing circle
of blogger friends and subscribers.
I wish you safe journeys and delicious eating.
See you next week.
Corn, Andouille & Chicken Chowder
This, or a variation of it, is what I usually have simmering on the back of the stove for those who arrive hungry the night before the big day.

Cream of Mushroom & Celeriac Soup
An elegant starter to any holiday meal.

Roasted Beet, Sauteed Fig Amuse Bouche
A fun way to amuse your guests as they sit down to table.

Mashed Yams with Garlic, Chestnuts & Sweet Vermouth
A decadent take on candied yams.

Lime Jello Salad
My mother made this every year. We kids called it Moldy Salad. Thanksgiving would not be the same without it. And, yes, it will be on the Thanksgiving table this year.

Cranberry, Apricot, Ginger Chutney
Put this on the table next to the more traditional cranberry sauce. Yours guests will be delighted. It's delicious on turkey sandwiches the next day.

Turkey Soup
This changes from year to year, depending on how full I am from the night before.

Butternut Squash Bisque with Maple Syrup and Sage
Gives pumpkin pie a run for its money.

Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake
Let the dessert speak for itself.

Quince-Raisin Tart Tatin
A quintessential offering of the season.





Copyright © 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

9 comments:

  1. Safe travel and Happy Thanksgiving. I am sure you'll have a grand time. See you when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Thanksgiving. BTW, I've been getting people who came to my site from your low-carb pumpkin cheesecake for days, every time I check my referrers, there it is. You must be getting tons of hits on that post! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look wonderful but that mushroom and celeric soup looks extra good to me.
    Have a Beautiful Thanksgiving with all you love. I can see you as the queen but not a crone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Simona. I hope all is well. Best to Robert.

    Kalyn,
    the cheesecake and pan seared tilapia get the most hits in my counter. Referrals from you come next. My hits this week are out the roof!

    Tanna, You're sweet. I will maintain that crones can be very queenlike. In fact, I insist. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds so wonderful, Christine. Our meal will be simple: Chateaubriand with roasted vegetables; salad with goat cheese, pecans and dried cranberries; maple-laced squash and pumpkin pots de creme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Happy Thanksgiving to your family and its new traditions. After my husband's heart surgery, we began spending more holidays at home, just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful table setting~so inviting. I am just getting around to reading and catching up ,again. Time does get away. Hope your trip was good and you enjoyed yourself and family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the information about Thanksgiving recipes, in my life we celebrate every year thanksgiving holiday festival with different recipes and i prepared Turkey recipes too. Its very nice to share and serve for my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.