Monday, February 26, 2007

Vegan Stuffed Baked Potatoes

No, they're not stuffed with vegans.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I'm actually "cooking" vegan. It's more that I'm using vegan convenience foods and putting them together. No matter. Jeffrey likes it and that's good enough for me.

Yikes! Is that really a baked potato in the photo? On this blog?

Horrors!

Because my vegan son is here, laying tile and painting the walls of our house, we're all eating vegan (I mean, who wants to cook both ways for just three people?) and most of the time I either have intense cravings for meat and cheese or my stomach's growling with hunger.

So I baked some large russet (the very worst kind for a low-carber!) potatoes, stuffed them with a saute of sausage patty-flavored TVP, portobello mushrooms and sweet onions and ... well, I ate one.

I was hungry. I won't do it again.

The low-carb police are just going to have to deal with my fall from grace.

Vegan Stuffed Baked Potatoes
Christine's original recipe
Ingredients:
4 medium-size russet potatoes
2 cups sausage-flavored textured vegetable protein (found in bulk in many natural food stores)
1 cup organic vegetable broth
1/2 sweet onion, cut into small dice
2 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, cut into small dice
olive oil and Earth Balance Buttery Spread or Buttery Sticks for the skillet

Preparation:
Bake the potatoes in a 375 degree oven until done, about 1 hour.
When done, remove from the oven and keep in a warm place until ready to stuff.
Place the vegetable broth in a medium saucepan and bring to just under a boil.
Pour in the sausage-flavored TVP and stir to moisten all the pieces.
Remove sauce from the heat, cover and allow to sit until the liquid is absorbed. It's OK if a little liquid remains.
In a skillet over medium heat, place 1-2 teaspoons each olive oil and Earth Balance.
When these have melted, add the diced onions and saute gently until softened and slightly golden.
Add the diced portobellos and continue to saute until the mushrooms are cooked and softened.
Add the TVP, plus any liquid that may remain in the saucepan, and stir well. Cover and keep in a warm place.
Take a potato and cut a slit lengthwise in the top. With your fingers, push the ends of the potato toward each other, creating a steaming, fluffy-white eruption of the starchy inards.
Immediately slather with Earth Balance Buttery Spread, then spoon on generous scoops of the TVP saute.
Sprinkle with snipped fresh chives and minced fresh parsley and serve hot.

Cook's Notes:
Because the sausage-flavored TVP is highly seasoned, I didn't need to add any other condiments to the saute.
You may notice that I've got a copyright clause both in the sidebar of my blogs and in the post template as well. It may be overkill, but I've been 'scraped' and I don't like it.

Copyright 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved.
No content from this site, including text and photos, may be copied, in full or in part, re-located or otherwise reproduced without the express permission of this blog's administrator/owner.

11 comments:

  1. I promise I will not tell about the potatoes. Sorry about the scraping. I've had my own experiences, but yours is especially annoying where they copy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto from me, Christine. I am appalled at such dishonesty.

    Now, about the potato - isn't it true that what you eat with it alters the bad affects of the carb?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kalyn,
    I've gone from feeling very violated to being very, very annoyed. Cybele put up an informative post of FBS.

    Mimi,
    YES! Let's go with that!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potatoes look great Christine, I have to keep clear of too much soya though but I expect you could use what we call Quorn as far as I am aware it's not soya based protein. I'm sorry to hear about scraping, do you mean copying everything and how did you find out? You can do a private email if you prefer.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I like the looks of this! Looks delicious!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a refreshing dish-I can't wait to try something like this- need to find out how to copyrght too-not having any luck doing it...any thoughts?Glad you did this.....Sorry you had a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potatoes so this is lovely looking to me!
    I simply don't understand the copy thing, it really takes an idiot to copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne,
    I sent you an email.

    Sher,
    Jeffrey liked it. Yes he did.

    Paz,
    Thanks! Glad you like it.

    Jann,
    Thanks. Re copyright: the minute you write something original it is protected under copyright law. Placing a clause on your blog that says your content is protected, blah, blah, blah is just to let others (dunderheads) know not to mess with your stuff.
    Sam has a good clause written on her blog, it looks like it's in the post template, Becks and Posh.
    Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tanna,
    Sorry I missed you in my last comments. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The potato looks lovely - and kudos to you for cooking Vegan....I think I would be cooking 2 meals.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katie,
    Nice to "see" you! I confess that last night I did cook two meals! A girl's gotta eat an animal once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.