Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Oh! Oh! Oh! Meyer Lemons!

The plain brown box addressed to me was waiting on the porch steps when I arrived home this evening. It being too dark to see who it was from, I just brought it in and started to open it without looking closely. It was heavy and dense; giving it a shake yielded no clues.

As I opened the top, however, the delightfully unmistakable scent of Meyer lemons tickled my nose and thrilled my inner chef.

Visions of lemon curd, preserved lemons - both sweet and salty, sorbet, lightly lemon-scented fish, steamed and lemon-scented winter greens swam before my eyes. The possibilities are endless.

These lemons come from the Winters back yard of my friend Bill. He and my pal Erika picked them, carefully packed them and shipped them up to me.

Not one, but two layers of beautifully packed lemons.

Thank you SO MUCH dear friends. You will be rewarded!


Cook's Notes:
After just one day at the new job that I started last week, I got a horrible cold/flu and spent the rest of the week and weekend in bed. This week I re-start my job in earnest, working outside my home for the first time since the beginning of last summer. I welcome the busyness, but know that cooking and blogging every day will slow down to probably a few days a week. I'm just letting you know.

I generally try to put a photo on my garden blog daily. So if there's no food in my kitchen when you come by (and how sad is that?), go on over to Raven Ridge Gardens and feast your eyes on what Nature has to offer.

Something in a lemon on its way soon...

10 comments:

  1. How divine for you and those at your table!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky! We never get Meyer lemons here. Good luck with the new job. I can relate to the challenge of working and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat!

    Hope you are feeling better. Best of luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just loving food packages? I hope you post some recipes that you make with them!

    Best of luck!

    Susan from Food "Blogga"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing what happens next, Christine. What a lovely gift.

    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are my best friend of late. I do so many things with them both on and off the blog. You will come to love them and lets hope that we still have them next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see what you'll make from those gorgeous lemons Christine. Good luck with the new job and hope you are feeling better.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Regards to your recent COLD...
    When the World gives you lemons...
    Make Lemonaid...Get well soon, Your friend Bill in Winters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tanna and Kristen.

    Hi Kalyn,
    My new job is only three days a week. What you do is nothing short of miraculous: a room full of 4th graders five days a week, a recipe inventor, food blogger and BlogHer writer. I truly don't know how you find the time for it all and do it so well!

    Susan, Thanks for stopping by. I'll be incorporating Meyer lemons into my recipes for quite a while I expect. Very nice blog, by the way.

    Thank you so much Mimi and thanks for the email!

    Sher,
    Yes, I'm a lucky gal. I've done Meyer lemon curd on this blog but now I can't find it so I'll do a new one. Just for you!

    Hey there Husband,
    Thanks for stopping by.

    Thanks Anne. Recipes are on the way.

    And Mr. Bill,
    Thank you so much for this delightful gift! There's lemon in my tea as I type this, and I am feeling much better because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A box of MEYER LEMONS. Wow, now that just might be the best gift ever...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.