Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy Winter Solstice

Winter officially began at 10:08 this evening on the west coast. To celebrate, we went for a walk, took this photo, had a delicious dinner at Simona's, then came home and lit a small fire outside to celebrate the turning of the season.

Happy Winter Solstice!

It won't seem like it at first, but before we know it the days will get longer; the sun will get up a few minutes earlier, setting a wee bit later. Seed catalogs will become dog-eared then window sills and greenhouses will fill with seedlings awaiting the day they can go outside and stretch in the warming sun.

How can we not celebrate?




Copyright © 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

8 comments:

sher said...

Oh, this is marvelous! I MUST DO THIS.

Happy Holidays!!!!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

We got in from the air port about 10:30 last night and had a half glass of wine on the roof deck before turning in at 11 does that count!
Seed catalogs are such wonderful winter entertainment I think.
Celebrate!!

Christine said...

Sher, I've always been more pagan than mainstream. I find it so much more spiritually satisfying.
Happy Holidays to you, too!

Tanna,
Yes it does count! I think you were spot on. The Solstice was at 10:08 here, making it 11:08 in your neck of the woods, presuming you're in Texas. I expect to be poring over seed catalogs soon.

Simona said...

I need longer days, so I like when we turn the winter solstice corner, so to speak.

Mimi said...

What a photo!

Christine said...

Happy Solstice Simona!

Thank you so much Mimi. I'd love to show your our "front yard" someday.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo Christine.
Happy Holidays
Anne

Jann said...

What a view ~ and I can't imagine how beautiful your front view must be! You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful location place to live....it doesn't get much better than that!