Thursday, May 10, 2007

Campari Tomatoes: Good For Breakfast

Just a few weeks ago I could walk into my local Safeway and pick up any number of boxes of small-but-mighty, juicy, sweet Campari tomatoes. I discovered the taste of these babies some time ago and knew they were exemplary grocery store tomatoes. No cardboard taste here. I also knew that not many people knew what I knew.

Now, thanks to Ruth Reichl, who wrote about them in May 3rd's Gourmet Weekly, I'm lucky to find a mere box or two. And there's always someone else eyeing the very boxes that I'm eyeing.

Lucky for me, this time I got to them first. And no one was hurt.

This time.
These are US grown, pesticide-free tomatoes. Packed with antioxidents, they'll do your heart good. If the news hasn't hit your area yet, get down to the grocery store and pick up as many boxes as you can carry. Then run for your life.
Campari tomatoes are perfect on a BLT (until, of course, the heirlooms come in), in a fresh tomato sauce, or with your scrambled egg breakfast.

Bon Appetit!


Copyright © 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

10 comments:

  1. I do love tomatoes to taste nice, a lot don't seem to have much flavour do they?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! Aren't these just wonderful! Until the heirlooms come in or the ones in the garden. I've been traveling and not gotten to the grocery store but this morning as I was making our eggbeaters I looked over for these on the counter and ofcourse there werenone there -they'd have been bad if there had been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a shame we have such difficulty getting good tasting tomatoes from the grocery stores-good thing summer is approaching!I miss the market ones-your breakfast looks absolutely devine..I'm coming over....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will watch for those at my local market, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks--you know I'm going to ask Nugget to carry them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also read Ruth's article and rushed to the store to get some. I had them with scrambled eggs for breakfast too....great minds think alike!!! Aren't they just yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could also take that lovely roasted garlic from your pervious post and the tomatoes and make Pa amb Tomaquet like the Catalans do: http://thyme2.typepad.com/thyme_for_cooking_/2007/03/breakfast_wars_.html
    I've always loved tomatoes for breakfast - hot, cold, sauced, pizza (well, that's close)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been getting those tomatoes for a while, and they are wonderful... no one in my area seems to know this, so I suppose that's good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to be so long in answering all your wonderful comments. While I was gone Mimi has left for Paris. Bon voyage, Mimi!
    Thanks to newcomers Judy and Ashley aka toxic puree. Thanks for stopping by.
    Katie, I went to the Pa amb Tomaquet post and immediately saved it to my del.icio.us file. Thanks so much!
    Hello to Tanna, Jann, Sher, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about those in the Gourmet newsletter, too! Didn't see them in my grocery store, though (boo!). Fortunately, tomatoes (from further south than Champaign) appeared at our farmers' market last week . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.