Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Fresh Roasted Chickpeas

"The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat . . . "

Looking at these cute little boat-shaped pods, it's clear to me that their boat had to have been made from a chickpea pod.


Before purchasing these at last Saturday's farmers market, I'd never seen chickpeas in their natural green state before. Now I can't wait for spring to plant my own.

More commonly known in their dried state as garbanzo beans, these green beauties can be placed on a baking sheet and roasted for about 12 minutes at 375-degrees. After letting them cool for just a few minutes, you pinch the flower end of the pod and it pops open, ready to be sprinkled with the tiniest bit of sea salt and popped into your mouth.

Fresh roasted chickpeas are nutty, chewy, delicious little green morsels reminiscent of fava bean flavor, just right for the appetizer hour on the back deck. And, of course, they're good for you! Click on these links to read the raves about their health properties.

If you happen upon a basket or two at your farmers market, snatch 'em up. Eat them roasted as a snack, add them to soups and stews, or throw them into a pasta like Alanna does here.

You can bet I'll be looking for them again at the farmers market this Saturday.





Copyright © 2005-2009, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

9 comments:

  1. I have never seen them at the market: who had them? I hope I can get some this week! I believe once I bought frozen green chickpeas, but I don't remember how I cooked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were on the north side of the plaza, toward the west end. Hope all is well. See you Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I would just check out it you had been active while I have been away in France and I come back to find you have done a blog about chick peas I think one of my favourite beans!! We always used to call them garbanzo beans when living in the US, in France they are know as pois chiches and I bought some not like you have, but in a large jar and they were fabulous. No doubt the fresh are the best!! I always use them here mainly with salads or a family favourite is a chick pea and chorizo casserole.
    Hope you are ok?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there, Anne. It's so nice to hear from you! Yes, i'm fine - thank you for asking. The reasons for my blogging absence are too numerous and boring to go into.
    How is life across the pond? Got any photos of your trip to France? How is the family?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous of your chickpeas!! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey , Christine!Welcome back!!! I cetainly understand your tiny break, I have had them ,too. It doesn't take much to get back into things again. I sure wish I could find thoses beans here~fresh~I see so many recipes for them.Being a bean lover,I think these would be vert tasty toasted!Hope you can find them again.
    I will be leaving for Tanzania on Tuesday for a few weeks,so I will not be posting much.Hope I can find some interesting foods out that way this trip.Take care and so good to read you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Michele. You have a very nice blog.

    Hi Jann! Thanks for the welcome. I'm feeling very welcomed right now! I do hope that the woman will have the green chickpeas at the farmers mkt again. I'm gong to use up the last of my hoard tonight. BTW: It looks like they will stay fresh in the fridge for 5-6 days.
    Have a wonderful trip to Tanzania. I know we will see great photos on your return!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen fresh chickpeas, but I'd love to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kalyn, Hope you're having a blast at BlogHer!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.