Monday, March 16, 2009

Green Low Glycemic Rice with Cilantro

Son Jeff came to visit us for 10 days in February and told me about an outstanding rice dish he had recently made. It sounded so delicious and so different from any rice I'd had that we decided to try to replicate it and this is what we came up with. And because I used Uncle Ben's Converted Rice, it's low glycemic to boot. I made it again later using a brown rice medley I'm fond of and it was equally delicious. So if you don't have to watch your intake of starches, go for whatever rice you desire.

I'm so very lucky to have both cilantro and parsley growing in my garden - still! They've been there all winter long through snow and heavy frost, refusing to give up. A lot of cilantro is used for this dish, imparting a beautiful green color (to say nothing of the flavor) just in time for St. Patrick's Day. The fresh lime juice adds sparkle and zip. Adjust it to your liking. Trust me, if you like cilantro, you're going to love this.
Green Low Glycemic Rice with Cilantro
With thanks to my son Jeff
Ingredients:
1 cup, packed, coarsely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup, loosely packed, coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 large onion, peeled, cut into eighths
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup, scant, fresh lime juice (2 large limes)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
A few grindings of good black peppercorns
1 1/2 cups Uncle Ben's converted rice or a rice of your choice
Preparation:
Place the cilantro, parsley, onion, garlic and lime juice in a food processor and buzz until finely blended.
Add the water, salt and pepper and pulse until blended. Yield is about 3 cups liquid.
If using a rice cooker:
Place the liquid in the rice cooker and stir in the rice. Place the lid on the cooker and turn on. The rice is done when the cooker turns off. Give the rice a stir to blend the herbs and let sit with the lid off for about 10 minutes before serving.
If using a saucepan on the stove:
Place the liquid in the saucepan and bring to a boil on high heat. Stir in the rice, cover with a lid and lower the heat to simmer. The rice will take 20-30 minutes to cook for the Uncle Ben's, longer for brown rice.
Suitable for vegans and vegetarians as well as all rice lovers!

Looks good enough to drink, doesn't it?




Copyright © 2005-2009, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

13 comments:

  1. well, I for one LOVE cilantro so I'm sure I'd love this. Pity my cilantro is still little seedlings. I'm afraid most people around here wouldn't even know what it is so it's not in the store. I'll have to be patient and try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rice was really good, and with the cubed butternut squash over it, it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds soo good and a great alternative to plain rice. You are lucky to have parsley and cilantro surviving the weather. This Spring I am going to have to put my parsley plants in cages to protect them from the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like it, Nerissa.

    Thank you Simona. I love sharing food with you.

    Hi there, Penny,
    It's too bad that the deer eat your parsley. I guess our big, bad dog keeps the deer at bay in our neighborhood. Lord knows they're around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kalyn. This dish seems custom made for you, you being a cilantro lover. I hope you are doing well. I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so delicious and to think all you have to do is step outside for some of the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Jann, that's the best part, hands down! It's so good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like this recipe, you will also like my coconut-cilantro rice recipe. Drop me a line if you want me to send it to you: tasteslikehome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. Must try it soon!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought this might be a dish you would like, Paz. Let me know how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are lucky. There isn't an easier or healthier way to spice up a meal than will fresh herbs. This looks lovely, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, Susan. You sure are having some fun giveaways. They are equally fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.