Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Barley, Chard And Ricotta Cheese Casserole

Locally grown barley and chard from the farmers market (only 2 weekends left!) and a vision of stuffed manicotti were the inspiration for this dish. Really. I had all the ingredients with which to stuff manicotti shells, but I didn't have the shells and was not going to drive to the market for just one item. So, take a breath, step back 10 yards, and punt . . . Put barley on the inside and leave the pasta off of the outside. Goal!
This is organically grown rainbow chard; isn't it beautiful? And big!
The most time consuming task in making this healthy and delicious dish is cutting the chard stems away from the leaves. (And please!, don't toss those stems away. Wrap them in plastic and put them in the fridge - I've got another recipe up my sleeve.)
Christine's Barley, Chard And Ricotta Cheese Casserole
Christine's original recipe
Ingredients:
20-22 large chard leaves on stalks
4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 cups cooked barley, cooled
15-ounces ricotta cheese
2 extra-large eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preparation:
Cut the leaves from the chard stems by chosing a point up in the leaf where the stem is thin then cutting the stem away from both sides of the leaf. You will be left with a chard leaf that has a deep V at the bottom.
Set the leaves one on top of the other as you finish stemming them.
Roll the leaves up lengthwise like a fat cigar then slice crosswise into 1-inch wide strips.
When that's done, with your knife at a right angle to the first cut, cut into 1-inch wide pieces. This doesn't have to be perfect, just make them a rather uniform size that will be easy to cut with a fork and eat.
Put a teaspoon olive oil into a warm, large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and allow it to soften, about 1 minute.
Add the chard and stir to incorporate the garlic pieces into the leaves. Saute until tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, nutmeg, thyme and salt and mix well. Stir in the barley and some freshly ground black pepper.
When the chard is cooked, stir it in to the ricotta mixture until it is fully incorporated.
Stir in the grated parmesan, season with salt and pepper if desired.
Spoon the mixture into a rectangular glass baking dish that has been lightly coated with olive oil or cooking spray. Smooth the top and bake in a 375-degree oven for about 25 minutes. A knife inserted into the middle of the casserole will come out clean when done.
Allow the casserole to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

Copyright © 2005-2008, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

10 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm working on a recipe with barley right now too, so we're channeling each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kalyn. It will be such fun to cook with you when you come out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a dish one can eat lots of and not feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cynthia. I know I did! Ate lots. Did not feel guilty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, I have never tried chard it looks rather like rhubarb. Can you describe the taste or would you always cook it with other things?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne,
    There are several big differences between chard and rhubarb: with rhubarb you eat just the stalks and they have to be cooked and sweetened to be palatable; with chard you can eat the leaves and stalks, the leaves not requiring much cooking at all. To me, chard leaves are meatier in texture than other greens. Their taste is "greener" with not so much of that acidic squeek that greens like spinach can have. I often just cut them up and saute them briefly with some minced or sliced garlic then add a squirt of lemon juice at the end. The stalks can be cut up and treated the same way. Watch for a post soon showing what I did with the stalks left over from this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made a chard and ricotta frittata for dinner the other night. Now I've got to try this with barley. I love its chewiness texture so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore anything with chard! This is a recipe I will make a copy of for certain.You are always so clever with these veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barley is just about my favorite grain, Susan. And we are so lucky, up here in this foggy climate, so have an organic grain farmer within 15 miles of my kitchen.

    Thanks, Jann! I just bought another huge bunch of chard from the farmers market today. I'm so glad you like this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank Christine for the explanation about chard, I shall have to look out for, I'm not sure that I have seen it around?
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.