Friday, September 21, 2007

Peach Blackberry Crumble - At The Heart Of The Matter



Joanna and Ilva at Heart of the Matter are focusing on fruits and berries this month and do I have a dish for them.

Berries, peaches, pecans, almonds, white whole wheat flour , a touch of sugar (or, in my case, Splenda), cinnamon, and Earth Balance instead of butter - all organic, all so good for you, all combined in one glorious little crumble.

Have it for breakfast with Greek yogurt. Have it for dessert with... Greek yogurt. Or have it with afternoon tea just as it is. It's delicious, it's healthy, and it's soooo satisfying.

Peach Blackberry Crumble
Christine's Original Recipe
Ingredients:
For the fruit filling,
3 organic yellow peaches, cut into chunks
3 to 4 cup blackberries - organic and wild-picked, if you can get them
1/4 cup Splenda (or sugar, if you prefer)
2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice, if the fruit is overly sweet

For the topping,
2/3 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup Splenda-Brown Sugar Blend (or regular brown sugar if you prefer)
small pinch kosher salt
1/3 cup (or less) Earth Balance Buttery Stick (EB), cut into small pieces (see Cook's Notes)

Preparation:
Spray a 6"x9" ceramic dish with Pam or other cooking spray. Set aside.
Have your oven at 350 degrees.
For the fruit filling, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Prepare the fruit and combine in a large bowl, adding the lemon juice if desired.
Sprinkle the flour-sugar mixture over the fruit and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
For the topping, chop the nuts then add the rest of the dry ingredients and blend well.
Add the EB pieces to the crumble mixture. Using your fingers and working quickly, blend the EB into the dry mixture by pinching between your fingers until the EB is fully incorporated into the crumble and about the size of small peas.
Pour the fruit into the prepared dish then sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it entirely.
Bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until the fruit bubbles to the top.
When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Cook's Notes:
I'm a lucky cook in that there are two kinds of blackberries that grow wild on our property (a mixed blessing to be sure) and they're all coming ripe as I write this. According to the web site World's Healthiest Foods, Blackberries are highest in phytonutrients and antioxidants that promote heart health.

Earth Balance Buttery Sticks are a trans-fat free, non-GMO, cholesterol-free butter substitute that uses expeller-pressed oils and no hydrogenation. A healthier choice than butter, I will often use this product, judiciously because it's still fat, especially in baked goods.

As I've been writing this I've received several phone calls, one of which was from a friend from long ago who is in our area and will be coming for dinner tomorrow. Excitedly talking to Mr CC (also on the phone) about tomorrow's surprise visitor and possible dinner offerings, I began idly leafing through the September issue of Food and Wine, turned a page and saw an almost identical recipe for blackberry and apple crumble with nut topping. Mr CC said, "See, you're cutting edge." Well, maybe. I think it's the season.

Be sure to visit The Heart of the Matter after Sept. 23rd to see the fruit and berry roundup of delicious dishes from food bloggers 'round the globe.



Copyright © 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved

17 comments:

  1. Having this for breakfast is good fuel that will take one way beyond the lunch hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, I made a peach-blueberry thing a few weeks ago that was wonderful! This looks like it would be, too. I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Cynthia. I had it for breakfast one morning and didn't even think about eating again until it was almost time for dinner.

    Hi Mimi, This is the time of year for such dishes. I made this a couple of days ago and I couldn't believe how many similar recipes I found when I wrote the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peaches and blackberries, oh my, and all those nuts! I think that was nice of Mr CC and I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! And thanks for all the useful information that you provide as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree, of course you're cutting edge! It sounds wonderful. Very South Beach friendly too! Saving the recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ilva. I look forward to each HotM event and learn more about heart healthy foods with each one.

    You're sweet, Kalyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to be ahead of the pack, as it were!
    I have brambles going all the way to my garden and I pick a bowel to have with my yogurt for lunch when they're is season. Sadly all done now.
    But a crumble, with peaches...Now that's truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous-you have such wonderful fruits and veggies right out your door! We just spent two weeks on a chartered boat motoring up in Canada. I saw so many huge blackberries-growing wild all over the place! Needless to say,hit a few farmers markets and had some Marionberry pies-right out of the oven! Berries and peaches,heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great recipe. I'm going to go try and bake some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katie,
    It is a good combination and perfect for this transitional time of year. I'm going to try to pick enough to freeze in the next few days.

    Jann, Motoring on the water in Canada. Marionberry pies just out of the oven. And YOU'RE jealous?!? :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My good intentions to do one this month for heart of the matter failed (again).
    Your peach and blackberry crumble looks like the best. I've always enjoyed crumbles.
    I've used the earth balance before, it's good and now I need to put it on my everyday list so I just have it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly love Earth Balance as a substitute for butter in so many things, Tanna. Butter is always in my fridge though, for those dishes that can't "live" without it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious-looking and even better is that it is healthy.

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never thought of peach and blackberry before, sounds a great combination. Didn't get this blog automatically, was just checking up and found a new one.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.