Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Breakfast Protein Smoothie That Packs An Anti-Oxident Punch

This morning the swallows arrived, bringing with them a stunningly beautiful, warm day, and announcing that Spring is here. I don't care that the calendars say that Spring doesn't start until March 20th, I believe the swallows. They're rarely wrong.

This is a breakfast shake I make when the weather turns from the cold, wet grayness of winter to the gentle sunshine and soft, warm breezes of spring.

It's packed with protein, is low in calories and sports low-glycemic ingredients.

I start with organic, frozen, no-sugar-added sliced peaches and strawberries.

Whey protein powder, organic flaxseed meal and cinnamon are next - all good anti-oxident ingredients.

A little Splenda, vanilla extract and, finally, a pinch of toasted slivered almonds add flavor and texture.

Add water and buzz it all up in a blender and you have a thick, rich, smooth, frosty, decadent-tasting, low calorie, filling, good for you breakfast.

Breakfast Protein Smoothie
Adapted from 40-30-30 Fat Burning Nutrition by Joyce and Gene Daoust
Ingredients:
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
1 22-gram scoop (about 4 heaping tablespoons) whey protein powder
1 heaping teaspoon organic flaxseed meal
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon good vanilla extract (no sugar, no corn syrup)
1/2 cup organic, frozen peach slices (no sugar added)
1/2 cup organic, frozen whole strawberries (no sugar added)
1 packet Splenda (if you use granular, you may have to use more as it's not as sweet)
2 teaspoons toasted, slivered almonds
Preparation:
Place the water in the blender followed by the next 4 ingredients and buzz for a second or two to blend.
Add the fruits, Splenda and almonds and buzz on high speed until the mixture is fully blended and the consistency of an ice cold milk shake.
If you use 1 1/2 cups of water, this will make a 2-cup smoothie. I usually have 1 cup for breakfast and save the rest for a mid-morning snack. Or share it with someone you love.


Copyright 2005-2007, Christine Cooks. All rights reserved. No content from this site, including text and photos, may be copied, re-located or otherwise reproduced, in part or in full, for personal or monetary gain, without the express permission of the administrator/owner.

7 comments:

  1. Yum. I could make this except, no fruit! I have those glasses, only I mostly drink Diet coke from them, not nearly as healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I realized that was a confusing comment. What I meant was, I don't have any fruit, not that I wouldn't eat the fruit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalyn,
    Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't imagine you not eating peaches and strawberries! :))

    Sher,
    OMG! The Blue Mango, what memories that name conjures up. You've lived in Davis quite some time! How come we never crossed paths?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would make this! I've always thought it would be great to do a smoothie day, a sort of detox experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think smoothies should be a food group!
    Looks like a wonderful smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi and Tanna,
    Maybe we should do a "show us your favorite smoothies" event??
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks a really soothing smoothy Christine, I just cheated and drunk some out of a carton although I do make my own sometimes. Mine was blueberry, pomegranate and acai, it also has I have just noticed grapes, bananas and some lemon juice and nothing else added. I like making them with bananas if they are a little too ripe to eat and adding bit of yoghurt. I shall have to try yours though.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.