Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Grilled Stuffed Turkey Burgers

I try to keep packages of ground turkey in my freezer at all times. It's so handy for a quick meat and tomato sauce, a low-fat meat loaf, or these cheese and avocado stuffed burgers.
Because ground turkey doesn't have much fat, I usually mix something into the meat to help it retain moisture while cooking. With meat loaf it can be egg, milk, rolled oats or good bread crumbs. But for grilling, I like to mix in a spicy jam to kick the flavors up a bit.
For these burgers I used a red onion confit, spiced up further with NapaStyle's Toasted Spice Rub. Now you can use my red onion confit, Sher's onion jam, or The Girl and The Fig Red Onion Confit, which is what I did, with these burgers. Any of these choices will have you pining for turkey burgers at odd hours of the day and night.

Grilled Turkey Burgers Stuffed with Avocado and Swiss Cheese
Christine's Original Recipe (with inspiration for stuffing ground turkey from Cuisine at Home Magazine)
Makes 4 to 6 burgers
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 cup red onion confit (or a spicy jam of your choice)
1 tablespoon Toasted Spice Rub
1 teaspoon kosher salt
generous grindings of Tellicherry black peppercorns or other good black pepper
1-2 ripe avocados
1/2 pound Swiss or Swiss-like cheese or Gruyere (I used French Madrigal, called a 'baby Swiss')

Preparation:
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, jam or confit, spice rub, salt and pepper and mix with your clean hands until fully blended.
Using about 1/2 cup turkey blend per patty, roll and pat them out to a 1/4-inch thickness, shaping them into rectangles. Make all the patties a uniform size. The size you make them will determine how many patties the mix will yield.

Setting the patties in pairs on waxed paper (2 patties = one burger), place several slices of cheese on top of one of each pair of patties, then top with several slices of avocado.

Using the waxed paper to help you, flip the unadorned patty on top of the cheese-avocado patty and seal the edges by pinching gently.
Repeat this process with the remaining patties.
Cook patties until just done, using an outdoor grill or an indoor grill pan. Don't overcook or the meat will dry out.

One of these grilled burgers makes a nice low-carb meal with your favorite low or no-sugar coleslaw, salad or roasted vegetables as a side. You can kick the carbs up, if you wish, by serving your grilled burger on a toasted whole wheat bun.

11 comments:

  1. I like that. Great technique for stuffing the burger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and it looks delicious.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so sweet Sher. I'm doing better each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I'm really curious what the taste is like :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Husky. You'll just have to try the recipe to find out how it tastes. Practically any lean ground meat may be substituted for the turkey.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds so good, Christine. Really, I think I should move out there and be your gardener or something. You would feed me well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could really get into liking these a lot! I am not much of a burger person, but this could change me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi,
    How did you know I was in dire need of a gardener?:) I would feed you well, that's for sure.

    Jann,
    As can be seen from my blog recipes, I'm not much of a burger person myself. These are so good though, and the stuffing possibilities are limited only by the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. christine,
    ill be your gardner.... and your pool boy....and your boy toy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Anonymous, Well, I do need a gardener, I don't have a pool unless you count the Pacific Ocean, and as for the boy toy - Mr CC fills that roll quite nicely. Sigh, one out of three. I dunno, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.