Saturday, December 3, 2005

Eggies and Toast - EoMEoTE #13


















This is my contribution to the End of the Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza #13, hosted by Cook Sister.

My three boys are grown up now, but ever since each of them has been able to hold a spoon, the most comforting comfort food that they remember has been what they dubbed "Eggies and Toast". Simple, basic, homely, comforting. It's what they would ask for if sick, upset, sad or just hungry. This is my first offering to EoMEoTE and I'm happy to share this humble dish exactly the way I've made it for the past thirty years. No embellishments. To this day, they love it.

Butter well 2 slices of hot toast and tear up into a bowl. Crack 2 soft-cooked eggs with a spoon around the middle, break in half and, using the spoon, scoop the insides onto the pieces of toast. Sprinkle all over with Spike seasoning and mix together until the toast pieces are coated with egg yolk. Serve immediately while reciting my rather horrible rendition of a rhyme called "A Seasonable Song" from The Real Mother Goose:

Eggies and Toast piping hot.
What I've got
You have not.
Hot, hot Eggies and Toast;
M-m-m so good, hot, hot, hot!






3 comments:

  1. Hi Christine

    That certainly sound comforting!! And for little hands, it removes the tricky part of getting all the egg out of the shell without ingesting bits of shell. Don't know what Spike seasoning is though. Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0004LZD4I/qid=1133889345/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4798188-9351011?v=glance&s=gourmet-food&n=507846

    Hi Jeanne
    Spike Seasoning is a product that has been around for many years. Originally available through health food stores, it can now be found in almmost any supermarket in the spice section. Hopefully the above link will take you to Amazon where there is a very good description for Spike and where it may be purchased on line.
    BTW - I forgot to add in my post that my mother used to make me what she called "poached eggs and toast", the original rendition of my recipe, when I was a child.
    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't die of shock now... but the round-up is finally UP!! You can check it out here:
    http://cooksister.typepad.com/cook_sister/2005/12/eomeote13_back_.html

    Thanks again for playing along :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I will do my best to respond to your comments and questions so feel free to write to me here. Sorry for the comment moderation but it helps to keep the spammers at bay.